Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt is an outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings about records and bands, new and old.  I am more than willing to satisfy requests [provided I can find the albums being requested].  Just leave a comment or send me an email with the album or albums you would like posted.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Over The Rhine - Drunkard's Prayer

I suppose that you could say that today's posts are a tribute to my favorites, or the ones that hold the most meaning for me. Over The Rhine is certainly no exception on either count. Husband and wife duo Linford Detweiler and Karin Bergquist make up the heart and soul of this [for lack of a more fitting word] incredible band. Jazzy and sultry, Bergquist's vocals soar over piano and acoustic guitar alike, singing songs of love and loss; hope and heartache. Many nights were spent alone with this album and a beer in my old apartment. Always my first choice when feeling nostalgic, "Drunkard's Prayer" has an uncanny ability to take me somewhere else in time, punctuated by images of evenings spent with friends, and evenings spent alone. Much like Ryan Adam's "Heartbreaker", this work of art was part of a small collection of albums that created the soundtrack to the summer of 2006. A summer spent living in a one bedroom apartment with three close friends. A summer of friends, music, and some of the most incredible times I have ever had. The eleven songs that make up "Drunkard's Prayer" are far too good to be ignored, and if you find this album as meaningful as I do, then please take my advice when I say that it doesn't even begin to do the band justice. Having seen them live, I have a right to say so.

Tracklisting:
1. I Want You To Be My Love
2. Born
3. Drunkard's Prayer
4. Bluer
5. Spark
6. Hush Now (Stella's Tarantella)
7. Lookin' Forward
8. Little Did I Know
9. Who Will Guard The Door
10. Firefly
11. My Funny Valentine

Highlight Tracks: "I Want You To Be My Love", "Born", "Spark", "Lookin' Forward", "Firefly"

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Nooooooooo I just uploaded this and was going to post it. You beat me to it. Good choice though. :)