Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt is an outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings about records and bands, new and old.  I am more than willing to satisfy requests [provided I can find the albums being requested].  Just leave a comment or send me an email with the album or albums you would like posted.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cold War Kids - Loyalty To Loyalty

I had heard of Cold War Kids probably 6 months or so before I actually listened to them. I remember hearing "We Used To Vacation" for the first time while my friend Cory and I drove to Ashland on some errand. Suffice it to say, I was blown away. The rest of the album easily followed suit. The high and less-than-perfect vocals, and the minimalistic approach to the music made for an incredible album. Fast forward to present day, and we have "Loyalty To Loyalty", Cold War Kids latest offering. I'm not going to say it's bad because I haven't listened to it enough to make a judgement call, especially one as harsh as that. I will say, however, that it has yet to grab my attention. I'm sure with a few more listens I will find some standout tracks and that will more or less be it, but as a whole, I don't have high expectations. Minimalism would be an understatement when describing "Loyalty To Loyalty. Where "Robbers & Cowards" set a nice tone for the band's blossoming career, "Loyalty" takes an even more stripped down approach and, in my opinion, falls short.

Once again, I'm sure I'll like at least some of it when I listen more, but as it stands, I'm not impressed.

Tracklisting:
1. Against Privacy
2. Mexican Dogs
3. Every Valley Is Not A Lake
4. Something Is Not Right With Me
5. Welcome To The Occupation
6. Golden Gate Jumpers
7. Avalanche In B
8. I've Seen Enough
9. Every Man I Fall For
10. Dreams Old Men Dreams
11. On The Night My Love Broke Through
12. Relief
13. Cryptomnesia

No comments: