A few years ago, when Panic! at the Disco [they have since lost their punctuation] released their debut album "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out", I thought that they were decent, pretentious as could be, but decent. The album had a few good songs, but wasn't the best thing I had ever heard. As far as I was concerned, Fueled By Raman's answer to The Killers was easily forgettable. Fast forward to 2008 and the release of "Pretty. Odd" and suddenly, these youngsters were getting terrible reviews, mostly from the kids who loved "Fever" and wanted version 2.0. Chalk one up to an unwillingness to be typecast, or maybe to maturation, "Pretty. Odd" shows that the Panic boys are more than capable of writing catchy AND good songs.
In the same vein as The Beatles [mostly the later years], "Pretty. Odd." is an incredible record that will undoubtedly get overplayed on MTV, but fortunately for us, the best tracks are the ones that will never hit the airwaves. Honestly, I feel that if they hadn't garnered the attention that they had initially, this band would have a great deal more credibility than they now have. In any case, do yourself a favor and download it now.
Tracklisting:
1. We're So Starving
2. Nine In The Afternoon
3. She's A Handsome Woman
4. Do You Know What I'm Seeing
5. That Green Gentlemen
6. I Have Friends In Holy Spaces
7. Northern Downpour
8. When The Day Met The Night
9. Pas de Cheval
10. The Piano Knows Something I Don't Know
11. Behind The Sea
12. Folkin' Around
13. She Had The World
14. From A Mountain In The Middle Of The Cabins
15. Mad As Rabbits
Highlight Tracks: "That Green Gentlemen", "Pas de Cheval", "Folkin' Around", "She Had The World"

1 comment:
Only problem is... Panic still can't play live to save their lives. I saw them pitifully whine barefooted through their set on F'in MTV a couple weeks ago.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Pretty Odd.
Special request: the Christmas albums by Sufjan, if you have them? My parents cleaned out my old computer while I was gone, and I lost it. Along with 16+ gigs of other stuff.
Sad day.
Post a Comment