Antony and the Johnsons is a band that you will love to hate. But regardless how much you hate them, it would be difficult to say that they are not talented or to say that they don't write great songs. I understand how listening to Antony Hegarty's vocals can be a labor of love, but if you can look past or even find beauty in his voice, then you will find
I Am A Bird Now to be one of the most beautiful and moving records in your collection. If you are able to look past the vocals, then you would also be able to look past the sometimes "colorful" subject matter, as it sometimes revolves around aspects of transgender lifestyles. Long story short, Antony and the Johnsons have quite a bit to prove, singing songs like "For Today I Am A Boy" with such an intense vibrato that it turns most listeners away. To set the record straight, though, I am by no means trying to turn you away from this record. Quite the opposite, actually. I am letting you know what to expect. Personally, I find this album to be absolutely brilliant and moving.
Tracklisting:
1. Hope There's Someone
2. My Lady Story
3. For Today I Am A Boy
4. Man Is The Baby
5. You Are My Sister
6. What Can I Do?
7. Fistful Of Love
8. Spiralling
9. Free At Last
10. Bird Gerhl
Highlight Tracks: "My Lady Story", "What Can I Do?", "Bird Gerhl"
No comments:
Post a Comment