Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt is an outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings about records and bands, new and old.  I am more than willing to satisfy requests [provided I can find the albums being requested].  Just leave a comment or send me an email with the album or albums you would like posted.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther

I don't know if you're able to tell or not, but the beginning stages of this blog is going to be a retrospective [more or less] of my favorite albums. Eventually, I'll get to new releases and leaks, but for now, all I'm concerned with is getting my favorite albums out there.

Midlake's "The Trials of Van Occupanther" is one such album. Unlike so many other bands, Midlake doesn't wear their influences on their sleeves. Creating genre-bending songs is their business. This album is an autumn album through and through. Driving through colored trees with the windows cracked, cigarette in hand is the image this album conjures for me [just take one look at the artwork!]. The track "Head Home" is a staple track on this landmark album, showcasing brilliant harmonies and a Wilco-esque guitar solo, Midlake shows that they have some power, and that they are incredibly prolific songwriters.

Rumor has it that the Midlake boys will be entering the studio soon [if they haven't already] to record their follow-up album. Suffice it to say, it is highly anticipated.

Enjoy!


Tracklisting:
1. Roscoe
2. Bandits
3. Head Home
4. Van Occupanther
5. Young Bride
6. Branches
7. In This Camp
8. We Gathered In Spring
9. It Covers The Hillside
10. Chasing After Deer
11. You Never Arrived

Highlight Tracks: "Roscoe", "Head Home", "Branches"

No comments: