Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt is an outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings about records and bands, new and old.  I am more than willing to satisfy requests [provided I can find the albums being requested].  Just leave a comment or send me an email with the album or albums you would like posted.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

It was during the summer of 2006 that I discovered Wilco. I had heard them before [my 30-something second cousin is a huge fan] but it had never resonated with me like it did then. Never pigeonholed, Jeff Tweedy and company created an uncompromising record full of big guitars and indie rock gems. But please understand that when I say "indie", I mean in the truest sense of the word - "independent" - NOT carbon-copy and formulaic bands that are peddling their garbage via the internet and MTV [which is more like a pale shadow of its former self].

With the state of music today, we need bands like Wilco; bands that have stood the test of time and who have the ability to speak in a way that so many of their contemporaries fall short.

Please forgive me for saying, but Jeff Tweedy is by no means an amazing lyricist, but to be fair, I can't think of anyone who listens to Wilco for the lyrics. Trust me, I'm very much a stickler when it comes to lyricism. But therein lies the beauty: the music has such an amazing way of speaking that the words themselves could be in an unfamiliar language and it doesn't matter. I still understand the heart of what Tweedy is saying.

"A Ghost Is Born" is by far one of the best records ever to be released, and will always be my favorite of Wilco's discography.

Tracklisting:
1. At Least That's What You Said
2. Hell Is Chrome
3. Spiders (Kidsmoke)
4. Muzzle Of Bees
5. Hummingbird
6. Handshake Drugs
7. Wishful Thinking
8. Company In My Back
9. I'm A Wheel
10. Theologians
11. Less Than You Think
12. The Late Greats

Highlight Tracks: "At Least That's What You Said", "Muzzle Of Bees", "Hummingbird", "Company In My Back", "Theologians"

No comments: