Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt is an outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings about records and bands, new and old.  I am more than willing to satisfy requests [provided I can find the albums being requested].  Just leave a comment or send me an email with the album or albums you would like posted.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter

Josh Ritter is undoubtedly one of the most prolific singer/songwriters of our generation, and he's in good company. With artists like Conor Oberst, Colin Meloy, and Sam Beam, it isn't fair to say that just anyone is a great songwriter. Josh Ritter, however, stands heads above the rest. I have seen Sigur Ros live. I've seen Over The Rhine live. I've seen Margot & The Nuclear So and So's live. None of them come close to touching Josh Ritter onstage, and I was lucky enough to see him in a small bar in Huntington WV recently. I have never seen someone enjoying what they are doing to the extent of Josh Ritter. It was almost like he had never lost sight of how blessed he is, somehow. He never stopped smiling and to be honest, it felt less like a show, and more like I were peeking through a basement window and watching a group of friends enjoying themselves, far from judgmental "critics". Because everyone thinks they're a critic these days.

My good friend Devin described Josh Ritter as our generation's Tom Waits. He terribly talented, but hasn't been spoiled by the mainstream. And you can guarantee that he's here to stay.

Tracklisting:
1. To the Dogs or Whoever
2. Mind's Eye
3. Right Moves
4. The Temptation of Adam
5. Open Doors
6. Rumors
7. Edge of the World
8. Wait For Love
9. Real Long Distance
10. Next to the Last Romantic
11. Moons
12. Still Beating
13. Empty Hearts
14. Wait For Love

Highlight Tracks: To The Dogs Or Whoever, Right Moves, Empty Hearts

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Just downloaded this on my dad's Mac. He has your blog bookmarked, but I've just now finally showed him how easy it is to download from your site! :)