Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt is an outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings about records and bands, new and old.  I am more than willing to satisfy requests [provided I can find the albums being requested].  Just leave a comment or send me an email with the album or albums you would like posted.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl

The best way that I can describe San Francisco trio Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is in two words: biker folk. The music is stripped down but edgy. I imagine a leather-clad greaser curling his lip from behind an acoustic guitar. Regardless of the imagery it conjures, the music is incredible.

When rating albums and especially writing reviews, I usually gauge how good an album is by how well it would do on a roadtrip. For me [and Kerouac] there is nothing more romantic or exciting than the open road, and I like to take along albums that are listenable beyond a few highlight tracks and that sound great competing with the roar of the wind through the windows. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club has created such an album with Howl. This was requested by Devin Phelps and I am more than happy to oblige.

Tracklisting:
1. Shuffle Your Feet
2. Howl
3. Devil's Waitin'
4. Ain't No Easy Way
5. Still Suspicion Holds You Tight
6. Fault Line
7. Promise
8. Weight Of The World
9. Restless Sinner
10. Gospel Song
11. Complicated Situation
12. Sympathetic Noose
13. The Line

Highlight Tracks: "Shuffle Your Feet", "Ain't No Easy Way", "Weight Of The World"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think of this album as what would happen if the white stripes started doing gospel music.

and i love the subject matter of the songs. i'm tired of music these days where the lyrics are all "abstract" and don't ever address any real issues. this album is a pleasant change.

kathryn said...

i wanna request somethin'! how about joanna newsom "milk-eyed mender" orrr anathallo's "floating world" (you know, they also have a new one out in nov)? the avett brothers?