I happened upon The Duchess and The Duke a while ago, but it wasn't until today that I [finally] was able to get my hands on their record,
She's The Duchess, He's The Duke. Hands down, this is a Devin Phelps album. Listening to it, I half expect to blink my eyes and suddenly be sitting on the big orange couch in his living room, listening to this "vintage" band, while he plays Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on his PC.
Devin, I hope you enjoy this one.
Tracklisting:
1. Reservoir Park
2. Out Of Time
3. Ship Made Of Stone
4. Strangers
5. The Prisoner
6. Back To Me
7. Mary
8. You Can Tell The Truth, Now
9. I Am Just A Ghost
10. Armageddon Song
5 comments:
does this mean that i'm going to hate it?
probably
alright, took me a while to get around to this one. i didn't really think much of this album on first listen, except for a couple of tracks that really stuck out. but after further listenings i decided that i felt about this band probably the same way you feel about joanna newsom. that is to say, really good music gone horribly wrong. the songs, structurally and lyrically, are quite good. but the style in which they are done, the choice of accompaniment instruments, the singer's voice style, and the mixing of the album all leave a lot to be desired. i will continue to listen to this album, but it will not make it into my top albums or into any sort of regular rotation. the two great tracks on this album that i didn't have anything against are "7. mary" and "9. i am just a ghost". these two tracks are really good, the rest i will only listen to when i am in that particular mood. however, these would make some fun songs to cover sometime.
They spell it "Dutchess"
You can see it on the album artwork
p.s. I don't like it either lol
Post a Comment