Alexi Murdoch is a singer-songwriter that I want so badly to like. Upon hearing the track "All Of My Days" from his full-length debut,
Time Without Consequence, I fell in love. Then I listened to the rest of the album, which to me seemed uninspired and less impressive than the opening track. Now, I realize that some artists require a few listens before you can truly appreciate them, and I'm not above giving the album a few more listens, but I'm not hopeful. In my hopes of finding an album that is overall cohesive and more than a collection of mediocre songs and one great song, I downloaded the
Towards The Sun EP. It is exactly what I was looking for. Hushed and stripped down, the album is full of beautiful songs that are each as good as the others. Give a listen. Critics have said that Murdoch's "lyrics and vocals blend the mystery of Nick Drake with the warmth of a Cat Stevens or Gordon Lightfoot," and that he has an "earnest, comforting voice and conversational, emotional delivery."
Tracklisting:
1. Towards The Sun
2. At Your Door
3. Some Day Soon
4. Slow Revolution
5. Through The Dark
6. Her Hands Were Leaves
7. Crinan Wood
No comments:
Post a Comment