Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt is an outlet for me to express my thoughts and feelings about records and bands, new and old.  I am more than willing to satisfy requests [provided I can find the albums being requested].  Just leave a comment or send me an email with the album or albums you would like posted.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism

Death Cab For Cutie is a band that I have always appreciated, but it seems like I have been able to listen to few bands other than them for a few weeks now. Not just Narrow Stairs either; I'm revisiting their old albums, which certainly accounts for this post.

Regardless of how great Plans and Narrow Stairs are, neither can or will ever be able to touch Transatlanticism in my mind. It is a wonderful and cohesive album that represents my freshman year of college, when I was just beginning to pan out the good bands from the river of bad, and one that stood out was Death Cab. Say what you will about them and their recent popularity, it is hard to not smile when you hear songs like "The Sound Of Settling" or "The New Year". Beyond the radio friendly pop songs, though, are incredibly and meticulously crafted gems like "Tiny Vessels" and "We Looked Like Giants".

Death Cab For Cutie is a band that will forever be great, because Ben Gibbard and Co. refuse to write songs that appeal to anyone other than themselves. Either that, or they are brilliant at feigning it. Regardless, they make great records that speak.

Tracklisting:
1. The New Year
2. Lightness
3. Title and Registration
4. Expo '86
5. The Sound Of Settling
6. Tiny Vessels
7. Transatlanticism
8. Passenger Seat
9. Death Of An Interior Decorator
10. We Looked Like Giants
11. A Lack Of Color

Highlight Tracks: "Tiny Vessels", "Transatlanticism", "We Looked Like Giants", "A Lack Of Color"

No comments: